Security Alert: October 1, 2008
October 15, 2008—Chicago police, in cooperation with UCPD, have arrested a 23-year-old man for the assault of a woman on the street at 5411 South Ellis Avenue. This suspect also has been charged in a separate robbery that occurred on October 2, 2008, in the 5400 block of South Ridgewood Court. He has been charged with one count of aggravated robbery and two counts of aggravated battery.
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Chief Rudy Nimocks, University of Chicago Police Department
At 9:20 p.m., Wednesday, October 1—University Police found a woman on the street at 5411 South Ellis Avenue. It appears she was struck in the head during an assault. Details are not fully known at this time. The victim was transported to the hospital in serious condition. Police are investigating.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).