Security Alert: October 9, 2008
October 24, 2008—Chicago police have arrested a 33-year-old man for the October 8 sexual assault and armed robbery of a woman in her apartment building in the 1300 block of Hyde Park Boulevard. The suspect has also been charged in a separate sexual assault that occurred on October 21, 2008, in the 6300 block of South Rhodes Avenue. He is in custody charged with two counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault.
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Chief Rudy Nimocks, University of Chicago Police Department
At 9:55 p.m., Wednesday, October 8—A woman entering the lobby of her apartment building on Hyde Park Boulevard near Dorchester was grabbed from behind by a man who forced her to an area at the rear of the building where he sexually assaulted and robbed her. The woman was transported to the hospital for treatment. Police are checking building surveillance cameras for possible images of the suspect.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).