Security Alert: April 6, 2009
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Chief Rudy Nimocks, University of Chicago Police Department
At 5:05 p.m., Thursday, April 2—A man, 18, standing on the sidewalk with several acquaintances on Cottage Grove Avenue between 61st and 62nd Street was fatally shot by an unknown assailant.
At 8:50 p.m., Friday, April 3—A woman, 18, her male companion, 18, and a one year-old child in a car stopped at a traffic signal at 61st and Cottage Grove were shot at by the unknown occupants of a white, 4-door Pontiac Grand Am that pulled up next to their car. The shot shattered the rear door window, but no one was injured.
At 12:40 a.m., Saturday, April 4—A man, 28, was fatally shot in the street near his residence, just south of the UCPD patrol area, on Ingleside between 64th and 65th Street.
Police are seeking suspects in all three cases at this time. Police believe at least two of the cases are gang-related.
The Chicago Police and the University of Chicago Police are working with a variety of city and community resources in an effort to address this gang-related violence. There is collaborative planning and deployment of Chicago and UCPD patrol units supported by specialized units of the Chicago Police Department. UCPD and CPD are expanding a Safe Passage Program for school children. Active support in the community is being supplied by Alderman Willie Cochran (20th Ward), The Apostolic Church of God, the Cease Fire Organization, The Woodlawn Organization, The Woodlawn Preservation and Investment Corp., and The Woodlawn New Communities Program.
Every resource available to the police and the community is being implemented in order to reduce the community risk and apprehend the perpetrators. In the meantime, please use caution. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to use the Safe Ride service, University bus system, or UCPD Umbrella service.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).