Security Alert: April 21, 2009
April 23, 2009—Chicago police have arrested three men for the fatal shooting of a man on the street in the 6300 block of Ellis Avenue on April 20. The three suspects, Michael Minnifield, 22, Kerry Williams, 24, and Angelo Straight, 23, have been charged with one count of murder and three counts of aggravated battery for wounding two other men and a woman who were with the murder victim at the time of the shooting.
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Chief Rudy Nimocks, University of Chicago Police Department
At 10:35 p.m., Monday, April 20—A man, 38, walking on the street with two men and a woman, was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting near his residence On Ellis Avenue between 63rd and 64th Street. The other two men, 21 and 27, and the woman, 21, were also shot, but their injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.
The Chicago Police and the University of Chicago Police have collaborated resources and specialized units of the CPD are supporting regular patrol units in the area to address gang-related violence. The police and community resources are working together to reduce the risk to the community and apprehend those responsible. In the meantime, please use caution. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to use the Safe Ride service, University bus system, or UCPD Umbrella service.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).