Security Alert: May 6, 2009
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Chief Rudy Nimocks, University of Chicago Police Department
At 12:55 p.m., Wednesday, May 6—An 18-year-old man standing on the sidewalk on Kimbark between 61st and 62nd Streets was wounded in the leg in a drive-by shooting. Witnesses said the shots were fired from a passing silver or gray Ford Explorer. The victim was transported to the hospital by a friend and is reported to be in good condition.
The Chicago Police and University of Chicago Police are working together to prevent further violence in the area; specialized units of the CPD have been supporting regular patrol units in the area to address gang-related violence. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to use the Safe Ride service, University bus system, or UCPD Umbrella service
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).