Security Alert: June 20, 2009
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Marlon C. Lynch, Associate VP for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
At 2:30 a.m., Saturday, June 20—University police arrested an unauthorized suspect in the Max Palevsky Residential Commons after he approached a student in an upstairs study room. The suspect grabbed the woman around the waist, however, she resisted and managed to break free. The suspect is in police custody charged with battery, two counts of criminal trespass, and theft.
Please be aware of your surroundings, particularly when entering and exiting a building. In order to ensure building security, it is important for everyone to be actively engaged: Do not hold a door or otherwise allow access to any residential or controlled access building to anyone you do not know. This is not rude behavior, it is behavior that will help insure your safety and the safety and security of other occupants of the building.
If someone persists in trying to gain access with you, go immediately to the building front desk or call UCPD (1-2-3 from a campus phone or 773.702.8181 from an off campus phone).
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).