Security Alert: July 3, 2009
July 16, 2009—University of Chicago police, working in cooperation with Chicago police, arrested a 17-year-old male for a series of armed robberies that occurred in Hyde Park between July 1 and July 3. The suspect is in custody and has been charged with six counts of armed robbery resulting from two separate robberies that occurred on July 3. Area One detectives continue the investigation.
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Marlon C. Lynch, Associate VP for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
Police are investigating a series of robberies that have occurred in the Hyde Park community. On three occasions between July 1 and July 3, two to three men armed with a hand gun have robbed groups of people in secluded locations. Two of the robberies have occurred in neighborhood parks and one in an alley. In each case there were 2 to 6 victims. The robberies have occurred between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 12:50 a.m. in the area between 52nd and 55th Street and Woodlawn to Ridgewood Court.
UCPD is deploying patrol coverage and working in concert with Chicago police to address this series of crimes.
I urge you to avoid secluded areas such as parks, alleys, and vacant lots during late night, early morning hours.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).