Security Alert: July 21, 2009
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Marlon C. Lynch, Associate VP for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
Two crimes involving violence or the threat of violence were reported recently at the CTA bus stop adjacent to the Red Line rapid transit station at Garfield Blvd. and Wentworth Avenue (Dan Ryan Expressway):
At 10:30 p.m., Saturday, July 18—Two males, 18, and a female, 18, were among a group of people waiting for an eastbound CTA bus. Three young males, 12–14 years-of age, verbally harassed the victims before striking one of the male victims on the head with a stick and then throwing the stick striking the female victim. The other male victim was punched on the neck by a second offender.
At 10:30 p.m., Sunday, July 19—A male, 20, waiting for a CTA bus at the same bus stop and was robbed by a young male, 12–13 years-of-age, who displayed the butt of a hand gun tucked into his waist band.
The location of these incidents is outside of the coverage area of the UCPD; Chicago police have been made aware of the crimes. If you are the victim of a crime, please contact the police as soon as possible by calling Chicago police emergency 911 and UCPD at 702-8181.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).