Security Alert: August 3, 2009
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Marlon C. Lynch, Associate VP for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
8:10 a.m., Monday, August 3—On 58th Street near Ellis—a woman, 74, just walking from Citi Bank was approached from behind by a male who placed an object to her back and told her not to turn around, and to give him her money. The victim gave the offender $900 dollars in one-hundred-dollar bills she had just withdrawn from the bank. The offender ran north on Ellis. Offender is described as a male, African American, 20’s, 5’7”–5’9”, slender build, dark complexion, long dreadlocks hair, wearing a white T-shirt over a blue T-shirt and blue jeans. Police are investigating.
Safety Tip: Whenever possible, ask a family member or trusted friend to accompany you to the bank when you plan to withdraw a large amount of money.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).