Security Alert: September 16, 2009
To: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members
From: Marlon C. Lynch, Associate VP for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
At 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 15—A man, not affiliated with the University, was shot by two unknown males while walking through a vacant lot on Kimbark Avenue, between 61st and 62nd Street. The victim is reported to be in stable condition with leg wounds.
The Chicago Police and the University of Chicago Police are working together to prevent additional gang related violence in the area. Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to use the Safe Ride service, University bus system, or UCPD umbrella service.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).