Security Alert: March 18, 2010
At approximately 11:55 p.m., Wednesday, March 17—a graduate student walking alone at 56th Street and Dorchester Avenue was approached from behind and struck on the head with a blunt object causing a non-life threatening injury. An unknown suspect took the man’s wallet and fled. The victim was transported to the hospital by Chicago Fire Department EMS ambulance.
Police are investigating.
- When out at night, try to have a friend walk with you. There is safety in numbers.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).