Safety Advisory: August 18, 2010
Police are investigating a recent pattern of home burglaries in the Hyde Park community. On seven occasions between August 12 and August 17, unknown suspects entered residences in an area bounded by 52nd Street on the north, Blackstone Avenue on the east, 55th Place on the south and Ellis Avenue on the west. In each case entry was gained through a window; in four of the seven, the window had been open or unlocked. Six of the seven burglaries occurred late at night or during early morning hours when residents were, or were likely to be, at home.
Residents are urged to lock windows and secure window air conditioners where possible. If a window must be open, use a locking device that allows the window to open only a few inches for ventilation.
Most burglary arrests are the result of a citizen’s call to police reporting suspicious activity. If you see suspicious persons around your home or the home of neighbors, call the police immediately. Call Chicago Police Emergency 911 or University of Chicago Police 773.702.8181.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).