Security Alert: November 12, 2010
9:20 p.m., Thursday, November 11–on University Avenue between 60th and 61st Street–A University student walking on the sidewalk with two friends was approached by 6 or 7 unknown males. One of the males struck the victim on the head with his fist and took his cell phone from his hand. The suspect and his companions fled on foot. The victim declined medical attention.
9:30 p.m., Thursday, November 11–On the Midway Plaisance near Harper Library–A University student crossing the Midway Plaisance saw three males as he neared the Linne statue. A fourth person jumped from the bushes and struck him with an unknown object knocking the victim unconscious. When the victim regained consciousness, he sought help and was transported to the Mitchell Emergency room for treatment.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).