Security Alert: February 14, 2011
11:35 a.m., Monday, February 14—On Ellis Avenue between 61st and 62nd Street—A University student walking south on Ellis was approached from behind by an unknown male armed with a handgun. The suspect demanded a messenger style bag the victim was carrying. The victim handed the bag to the offender and was directed to continue walking south on Ellis. The victim complied and the offender ran north. The victim was not injured.
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).