Security Alert: February 25, 2011
During the past week there have been a series of shootings, including two fatal shootings, in the Woodlawn community that police believe are a result of increased gang activity:
At 9:15 p.m., Thursday, February 24—A man sitting in his parked car on Cottage Grove between 61st and 62nd Street was shot multiple times by unknown person(s). The victim was transported to Stroger Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
At 4:20 p.m., Wednesday, February 23—A man was fatally shot by an unknown suspect on the sidewalk on 63rd Street between Cottage Grove and Drexel.
Specialized Chicago Police Department units have been assigned in order to reduce the community risk and apprehend the perpetrators. In the meantime, please use caution. Faculty staff and students are encouraged to use the SafeRide service, University bus system, or UCPD umbrella service.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).