Security Alert: July 31, 2011
Police are investigating a series of robberies that have occurred in the Hyde Park community. On four occasions between July 27 and July 31, one or two men armed with a handgun have robbed people on the sidewalk. In three cases there were two victims. The robberies have occurred between the hours of 12:05 a.m. and 2:40 a.m. in the area bounded by 55th Street on the north, 57th Street on the south, Woodlawn on the west, and Dorchester on the east.
UCPD is deploying patrol coverage and working in concert with Chicago police to address this series of crimes. I urge you to use the transportation options listed below, especially at night.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).