Security Alert: October 10, 2011
Update: October 26, 2011
University of Chicago police arrested an 18-year-old male for an armed robbery that occurred in the Main Quadrangle on October 10, 2011.
The suspect is in custody and has been charged with armed robbery related to this crime. The suspect is also the subject of an ongoing Chicago police investigation as to his involvement in similar crimes in the community.
We urge members of our community to remain vigilant. Please visit the Fall Safety Update for safety tips and for more information on recent safety initiatives.
At approximately 11:35 pm, Sunday, October 9–two University students walking at East 57th Street and South Dorchester were approached by a male armed with a handgun. The suspect took the victims’ cell phones and fled north on Dorchester. The victims were not injured.
At approximately 12:05 am, Monday, October 10–a University student sitting in the Main Quadrangle was approached by three males, one of whom was armed with a handgun. The suspects took the victim’s cell phone and book bag before fleeing west to South Ellis. The victim was not injured.
Investigators will review video footage for potential evidence.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security
and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).