Security Alert: November 28, 2011
Update: November 30, 2011
University of Chicago police arrested two male suspects and a female accomplice for a robbery that occurred on 57th Street between University and Woodlawn on November 28, 2011. The suspects were taken into custody by University of Chicago police as they fled the scene of a similar robbery on November 29, 2011. The suspects are the subjects of an ongoing police investigation.
We urge members of our community to remain vigilant. Please visit the Fall Safety Update for safety tips and for more information on recent safety initiatives.
At approximately 7:35 p.m., Monday, November 28—a University student walking east on 57th Street on the sidewalk between University and Woodlawn, on the north side of the street, was approached by three unknown males, one of whom grabbed him from behind while another took his book bag containing a computer and cell phone. All three suspects jumped into a waiting 4-door beige sedan that sped south in the alley. The victim was not injured.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).