Security Alert: April 17, 2013
At approximately 2:05 a.m., Wednesday, April 17—a University student walking west on 57th Street between Ellis and Drexel was approached from the rear by an unknown male. The suspect pulled her hair and attempted to take her back pack. A UChicago bus approached, causing the suspect to release the victim and run to a waiting white vehicle being driven by a female. The victim declined medical attention and her belongings were recovered.
There will be an increase in police and security presence on campus to address this issue.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Avoid using cell phones or other electronics while on the street. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).