Security Alert: April 24, 2014
At approximately 2:00 p.m., Thursday, April 24 – A minor walking in the east stairwell of the 53rd Street Metra Station was approached by an unknown male armed with a handgun. The suspect took the victim’s cell phone and wallet before fleeing eastbound on East 53rd Street. The suspect was described as a male, 15-16 years of age, approximately 5’6”, dark complexion, with dreadlocks hair style, wearing a black puffy vest, a blue hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, brown Fendi belt, and white gym shoes.
The victim reported no physical injuries. Report to police was delayed.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Don’t resist an armed robbery unless absolutely necessary. Avoid using cell phones or other electronics while on the street. When walking, try to walk with a group or have a friend walk with you. There is safety in numbers. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety, Security & Civic Affairs and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to email@example.com
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).