Security Alert: December 7, 2013
Approximately 7:30 p.m., Friday, December 6—A University student walking off campus, on Blackstone Avenue between 57th Street and 58th Street, was approached by two unknown males who pushed her into an alley and fondled her. The victim was not injured. The victim walked home and later communicated with friends and a University staff member about the incident. The crime has not been reported to police; little further information is available.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. When walking, try to walk with a group or have a friend walk with you. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones.
If you are the victim of a crime, or if you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately by activating an emergency phone or by calling University of Chicago Police from a safe location. Your safety and the safety of the community depends on timely reporting.
Michele A. Rasmussen
Dean of Students in the University
Associate Vice President for News and Public Affairs
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).