Security Alert: January 9, 2014
Update: March 19, 2014
Chicago police have charged a suspect for an aggravated criminal sexual assault and armed robbery that occurred in the 6100 block of Woodlawn Avenue on January 7, 2014.
The suspect is in custody and charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault and armed robbery.
At approximately 12:10 p.m., Tuesday, January 7—A woman not affiliated with the University walking off campus northbound on University Avenue near 63rd Street was approached by an unknown male who displayed a knife and forced the victim to accompany him to a gangway of an apartment building where he forced her to perform a sex act. The suspect took $35 from the victim before fleeing eastbound on 62nd Street. Chicago police are investigating.
This information was relayed to UCPD by Chicago police on Thursday, January 9.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. When walking, try to walk with a group or have a friend walk with you. There is safety in numbers. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).