Security Alert: July 5, 2013
July 5, 2013—During the past two weeks there have been two robberies and a battery off campus on Ellis Avenue between 54th Street and 55th Street. Their location and types of crimes suggests a possible pattern:
12:55 p.m., Sunday, June 23—A University student walking south on Ellis between 54th St. and 55th St. was approached from the rear by two unknown males. One of the suspects produced a handgun and demanded the victim’s property. The victim handed his wallet and cell phone to the suspects who then ran north on Ellis. The victim was not injured.
11:30 p.m., Monday, June 24—A University student walking northbound on Ellis between 54th St. and 55th St. was approached from behind by two unknown males who struck him and took his iPhone and wallet before fleeing. The victim was treated at a hospital and released.
2:00 a.m., Friday, July 5—A University student unloading his car near 54th Place and Ellis was approached from the rear by two unknown males who struck him on the head with a flashlight. The suspects fled when the victim yelled for assistance. The victim declined medical attention.
There will be an increase in police presence in the area. Please use extra caution in this area late at night.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).