Security Alert: June 7, 2014
During the past 24 hours two armed robberies have been committed off campus in the area near Lake Shore Drive between 55th Street and 57th Street. Their location and number of suspects suggests a possible pattern. Patrols in the area have been increased.
8:45 p.m., Friday, June 6 – A University student walking on the sidewalk off campus at 57th Street and Everett Avenue was approached by three suspects, one armed with a handgun. The suspects took the victim’s headphones before fleeing southbound through the park on foot. The victim declined medical attention.
4:15 p.m., Saturday, June 7 – Two University students walking eastbound through the tunnel at 55th Street and Lake Shore Drive were approached by three unknown suspects, one armed with a handgun. The suspects demanded property from the victims and fled northbound on the lakefront after taking a cell phone. The victims were not physically injured.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Don’t resist an armed robbery unless absolutely necessary. Avoid using cell phones or other electronics while on the street. When walking, try to walk with a group or have a friend walk with you. There is safety in numbers. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety, Security & Civic Affairs and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).