Security Alert: March 22, 2014
Update: March 24, 2014
University of Chicago Police have arrested a suspect for the robbery that occurred on South Kimbark Avenue between 55th Street and 56th Street on March 22, 2014.
The suspect is in custody and charged with robbery.
At approximately 4:40 p.m., Saturday, March 22 – A contract employee was walking northbound on S. Ellis Avenue at 56th Street and observed a silver car with two occupants. The passenger said something the victim could not understand and he approached the car believing the man was asking for directions. The passenger displayed a handgun and demanded the victim’s property. The victim backed away and a nearby witness yelled at the men in the vehicle. The suspects drove off southbound on Ellis Avenue. The victim was not physically injured and no property was taken.
At approximately 9:45 p.m., Saturday, March 22 – A University staff member and a friend walking northbound on the sidewalk on S. Kimbark Avenue between 55th Street and 56th Street were approached from behind by a group of four to seven unknown males who pushed and struck the victims and took their cell phones. The suspects fled eastbound on 56th Street. One victim was transported to the ER and treated for minor injuries.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Don’t resist an armed robbery unless absolutely necessary. Avoid using cell phones or other electronics while on the street. When walking, try to walk with a group or have a friend walk with you. There is safety in numbers. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety, Security & Civic Affairs and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).