Security Alert: May 25, 2013
May 25, 2013—During the past month there have been two fatal shootings off campus in the Hyde Park community that police believe to be targeted incidents.
At approximately 1:50 a.m., Saturday, May 25—An unaffiliated man was shot multiple times by an unknown person or persons he had admitted into his apartment on 52nd Street between South Blackstone Avenue and South Harper Avenue.
At approximately 12:15 a.m., Tuesday, April 30—An unaffiliated man was fatally shot by an unknown person in the hallway of an apartment building at 52nd Street and Harper Avenue.
Although police believe both shootings were targeted incidents, it is important to take normal precautions to secure residences. Keep doors and ground-level windows locked or secured. Do not hold a door for or buzz in a stranger. If you see suspicious activity or somebody trying to gain unauthorized access, call police immediately.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).