Security Alert: October 18, 2013
Three apparently unrelated crimes were reported tonight:
At approximately 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 18—Two minors walking southbound on South Greenwood Avenue between 61st Street and 62nd Street were approached from behind by two unknown males. One suspect displayed a handgun and demanded the victims’ property. The suspects took iPhones, iPods, a laptop computer and a wallet from the victims before fleeing westbound on 62nd Street. The victims were not injured.
At approximately 7:20 p.m., Friday, October 18—Four victims walking west on 50th Street between Blackstone and Dorchester were approached by four unknown males, one of whom displayed a handgun and demanded the victims’ property. The victims handed over their cell phones and cash to the suspects who then fled eastbound on 50th Street. The victims were not injured.
At approximately 7:50 p.m., Friday, October 18—A resident was standing in the alley on Harper Avenue between 56th Street and 57th Street when he was approached by an unknown male who displayed a handgun and demanded the victim’s cell phone. The victim handed the phone to the suspect who fled southbound on Lake Park Avenue. The victim was not injured.
It should be noted that the descriptions of the suspects differ in each of the incidents.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Don’t resist an armed robbery unless absolutely necessary. Avoid using cell phones or other electronics while on the street. Familiarize yourself with the location of University emergency phones. If you see suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the police by activating an emergency phone or by calling UCPD when you get to a safe location.
Marlon C. Lynch
Associate Vice President for Safety and Security and Chief of Police
- Use public transportation options: free bus service, SafeRide, and umbrella service.
- If you have any information related to this incident or if you witness any suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Chicago Police Department (911) or the University of Chicago Police Department—123 from a University phone or 773.702.8181 from other phones.
- More safety and security information is available at the University’s Safety & Security website
- Security Alerts are based on information that has been reported to the University of Chicago Police. The reported information may not have been investigated or confirmed at the time the Alert was issued. Security Alerts will be issued via e-mail and posted to our website when an incident occurs that should be brought to the immediate attention of the University community.
- Comments or suggestions relating to security related issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE NOTE: The University of Chicago Police patrol area boundaries are 39th Street on the north to 64th Street on the south /Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive (39th to 60th )/Evans to Stony Island (61st to 64th Street).